In this project you learn how to:
- Modify layers.
- View layers from two drawings at once.
- Map layers from one drawing into another.
- Convert drawings between layering standards.
By the time you complete this project you should feel comfortable maintaining layer standards across drawings.
Defining a Drawing with the Right Layers
- Open the 7018.dwg drawing file.
- Select the Layer Properties Manager icon.
- Select the Cyan square associated with the HTCH layer.
- Select the Magenta color from the standard color area.
- Choose OK.
- Choose OK to exit this window.
- From the File menu, choose Save As.
- Type 7018-new.dwg.
- Save this file in a folder you will be able to find later.
- From the File menu, choose Close.
Now that you have created a drawing with the layers configured the way you like.
Converting Drawings Between Standards
- Open the 7018b.dwg drawing file.
- At the command prompt type LAYTRANS. The layers of the current drawing are displayed in the left viewport.
- Choose the Load button.
- Choose the 7018-new.dwg drawing.
- Choose Open.
- Select Cons in the left window.
- Select CONSTRUCTION in the right window.
- Select the Map button to move the objects from the Cons layer to the Construction Layer.
- Repeat this process to map the Crosshatching layer to the HTCH layer.
- Repeat this process to map the Rail-1 layer to the RAIL layer.
- Repeat this process to map the rail-2 layer to the RAIL layer.
- Note that you can use the Map Same option to quickly map all the layers that are the same in both drawings.
- Choose Save to save the layer translation mapping.
- Type 7018-Layer-Trans.dws This will let you convert any other drawing that uses the same layers.
- Choose Translate to translate the layers in 7018b.dwg to match the specified layers 7018-new.dwg.
You will find our version of the revised drawing in 7018c.dwg.