You learn how to:
- Copy Objects
- Trim Objects
- Extend Objects
- Move Objects
- Mirror Objects
Copy & Move Objects
- Open the 7003a.dwg drawing file. Remember that can right click on the link to the drawing, then choose Save Link Target or Save Target as to save it to a folder on your local hard disk.
- Select the Zoom Window icon from the Standard toolbar, then click two points to put a window around the collection of rooms in the upper right portion of the drawing.
- From the Modify menu, choose Copy.
- Select the two elements of the red door.
- Press ENTER to indicate you don't want to select any more objects.
- Select the endpoint of the door to specify a basepoint. Note that this is easy because OSNAP is enabled on the status bar located at the bottom of the screen. Remember that you can right-click to turn object snap on and off.
A basepoint is a point on or near an object. AutoCAD uses the basepoint to position, rotate, scale and stretch objects. The term is used in many AutoCAD commands.
- Move your mouse straight up and type 8'. This will move the duplicate door 8' above the original. Note that this works because POLAR is enabled on the status bar.
- Press ENTER, if required, to complete the command.
- Using the techniques just demonstrated, copy the door you just created and place it as shown in the image.
Mirror & Move Objects
- From the Modify menu, choose Mirror.
- Select the door as indicated in the image.
- Select an endpoint of the door where it touches the wall.
- Select the second endpoint of the door where it touches the wall.
- Press ENTER to indicate you don't want to mirror any more objects.
- Type Y erase the first door.
- From the View menu, choose Zoom Extents.
- Use the techniques just demonstrated to move and mirror the double door to the position shown. Note, you may find it easiest to move the door to intersect with the corner of the hall, then to move the door up 8".
Trim & Extend Objects
- From the Layer control list, choose Doors. This will insure that the objects you draw next will be on that layer.
- From the Draw menu, choose Line. Draw the lines indicated in the figure which go from the end points of the door through the wall.
- From the Modify menu, choose Trim.
- Select the lower right point then the upper left point of the window around the door. Make sure you cross the wall lines shown. You have just selected the edges that will cut objects. Selecting the points from right to left created a window that selected anything inside or crossed by the window.
- Press ENTER to indicate that you don't want to select any more objects.
- Select the lines you want to cut.
- Use the techniques just demonstrated to trim the rest of the walls and doors.
- TIP: Extending objects is just like trimming them. From the Modify menu, choose Extend. Select the object you want to stop at, then press enter and select the line, polyline or arc you want to extend to that object.